Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s project will be released on the streaming platform next month.
The much-awaited Duke and Duchess of Sussex docuseries from Oscar-nominated director Liz Garbus will debut on the streaming service in December.
In September 2020, Meghan, 41, and Harry, 38, agreed to a multi-year contract with Netflix. The California-based couple’s production company, later known as Archewell Productions, was said to be exclusively producing documentaries, docuseries, feature films, narrative series, and kids’ content for the well-known platform at the time, according to The New York Times.
In an interview with Variety in October, Meghan gave a brief overview of what viewers may anticipate seeing in the docuseries.
“It’s nice to be able to trust someone with our story — a seasoned director whose work I’ve long admired — even if it means it may not be the way we would have told it,” Meghan said of working with Garbus. “But that’s not why we’re telling it. We’re trusting our story to someone else, and that means it will go through their lens.”
“It’s interesting. My husband has never worked in this industry before,” she continued, referencing the entertainment business. “For me, having worked on Suits, it’s so amazing to be around so much creative energy and to see how people work together and share their own points of view. That’s been really fun.”
Cameras were seen following Meghan and Harry at the Invictus Games in The Hague in April, likely for a special feature on the prince’s adaptive sports tournament for injured, sick, and wounded service personnel and veterans.
The Invictus Games Foundation announced in April 2021 that Archewell Productions would be producing a Netflix docuseries about the historic event. The project’s working title, Heart of Invictus, would track participants as they trained for the 2022 Games in The Hague. Orlando von Einsiedel, a British director who won an Oscar, and producer Joanna Natasegara were confirmed as directors.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will have a busy winter because Prince Harry’s memoir will be released on January 10, 2023. The prince will tell his story in Spare, a 416-page memoir where Harry reflects with “raw, unflinching honesty,” Penguin Random House announced late last month.
The book’s title, which was initially planned for release in the latter part of this year, is a clear play on Harry’s former position in the royal family — as the second-born son of then-Prince Charles and Princess Diana, he was often referred to as the spare to the heir Prince William, whose heir is now his eldest son, Prince George, 9.